The Marston House is currently closed for renovation. It is set to reopen later this summer.
The classic 1905 Marston House was built for noted civic leader and merchant, George W. Marston, known as the “Father of Balboa Park,” and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Designed by renowned local architects William Hebbard and Irving Gill, it sits on five acres of landscaped English and California influenced gardens. Multiple walking tours of surrounding historic neighborhoods start from this location as well. Group tours are especially popular and it is one of the top wedding sites in the region. The museum’s gift shop located in the 1905 carriage house is known as one of the best in the city, offering visitors a distinctive mix of attractive, history and architectural based books and gift items, along with Arts & Crafts decorative arts items.
Save Our Heritage Organisation, SOHO, manages nationally famous Arts & Crafts-era Marston House Museum.
The George White and Anna Gunn Marston House is one of California’s finest examples of Arts & Crafts architecture and San Diego’s most important remaining building designed by the architectural firm of Hebbard & Gill. Upon entering the Marston House, one’s eye is immediately drawn the length of the house and through aligned windows at the far end to the outdoors. This choreography creates a dramatic entrance and helps visually reduce the massiveness of the large home. It also provides a strong connection between indoors and out, as do the casement windows used almost exclusively in the Marston House.